A quick, easy, and way better than store bought recipe- this pie will satisfy a quick craving or impress a Holiday crowd!
I’m not sure if it was the crisp Autumn air, the falling leaves, or the election drama but I got a craving for pumpkin pie last weeek and I needed to have it! I was not wanting to wait until Thanksgiving to satisfy the craving but I didn’t have time to run the store. After some research I found a recipe that would work with ingredients I had at home (WIN)! Roxy has been enjoying the falling leaves and crisp air to the fullest- see below!
I made the pie, we ate it, and it was soooo good- this was all last week and I have been trying to make this post for almost a week now. I kind of hit a block– should I push forward with a blog or am I wasting my time?!?! While I still don’t know the answer I really want to keep trying! I love food, I love fitness, I love reading blogs so why not give sharing my thoughts with the world a try.
I hope to work on getting into a rhythm with posting at least a couple of times per week to at least get in the groove. Hopefully if I can get into the groove of just posting I can grow my content.
Now back to this pie- the filling semi-homemade and easy. The crust- completely from scratch and all BUTTER! I am actually using this crust as a base to a dutch apple pie that I will be taking into the office for a Friendsgiving tomorrow. Hopefully you enjoy this pie and pie crust as much as I did.
Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Pie Crust Ingredients via Crazy for Crust
- 1/2 cup butter, diced and chilled
- 1 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water
- Slice butter into 8 slices and then place into freezer
- Place flour and salt into food processor
- Remove butter and place into food processor
- Process the butter, salt, and flour until coarse crumbs form
- Through the feed tube add in 1 tablespoon of water and give it a few pulses, continue this process until ingredients form a ball
- To keep butter cold I removed the dough ball from the processor to a plate and stuck in the freezer (no more than 5 minutes) while I got my rolling pin and surface ready to roll our the dough
- After removing the dough from the freezer place it on a pastry mat, silpat or other non-stick surface and roll the dough until 1/4″ thickness
- Carefully move dough into a 9″ pie plate and shape
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until ready to use
* Crazy for Crust has some awesome visuals for guidance on the crust recipe
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients until they are combined
- Carefully pour pie filling into pie crust
- Bake pie at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
- Reduce oven to 350 and continue baking for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into pie comes out clean
- Let cool, slice, cover in whipped cream and enjoy!
- Leftovers may be stored in the fridge